Friday, October 2, 2009

No rest for the weary

I haven't blogged in ages it seems. Since our trip to Arkansas I have been running around trying to catch up on everything. I think it took me a full week to finally get all the laundry from our trip done and then it seemed like there was just one thing after another to focus on so I never got a break until this very moment...or so it feels. One of my biggest distractions during the last couple weeks was the Just Between Friends consignment sale. I have consigned in this sale before and I sold everything but a pair of slippers so I was really excited to make some extra money again. I worked so hard on getting everything ready. I probably put a good 12 to 15 hours into just tagging and preparing all the clothes but I knew it was going to be worth it because of the big check I would get in a few weeks. Because I consigned I got to go to the earlier sale and there I spent $200 replenishing my children's wardrobes. (Buying a complete new wardrobe for Addie every 3 months has been killer. So glad it stretches to 6 months now.) But what is $200 when I'm about to get a huge check for all the clothes I was going to sell? HA! When it came time later that week to pick up the items that didn't sell I realized that I only sold maybe a quarter of my stuff! I went home and calculated how much I sold and when all fees are taken out I only made $175 which really means I'm in the hole $25. Major disappointment. In fact, it kind of makes me a little nauseous just thinking about it again. Live and learn I guess.
The other major event in my life has been this onslaught of sickness in my family. Now because I run a health food store I feel this great burden to never get sick and to never allow my family to be sick. We are supposed to be the example of natural health through preventative methods. Well, not this last week. Last Thursday Jack was running a fever and so I had to keep him out of school that day. It was quite a disappointment because it was his day to be the line leader and I had to convince him that at some point in his life he will get the opportunity to lead again. Of course, I naturally start freaking out about the stupid swine flu and begin the ritual of passing out supplements and hand sanitizer to my family every couple of hours or so. I wear myself out by trying to sanitize everything in the house and washing all the bed linens because I do not want Addie to get sick too. Too late. She started running a fever the day after Jack was better. There wasn't much I could do for her except hold her all day long, which I did. I've got one Popeye arm and one Olive Oil arm now. But she too recovered very quickly and I was just so proud of my kiddo's immune systems for kicking this bug so quickly. I thought the worst was over because now I would no longer have to share my bed with a kicking 3 year old or a screaming baby. I was wrong...I now share my bed with a very sick almost 3o year old who is just soaking up all the attention and nursing he can get. I don't really mind too much though. My ultimate fear is that I will get sick and then I just don't know how my family will continue to function. Who will take care of everyone? Who will take care of me? How many days will it take for me to get my house back to normal after I'm better? How big will the pile of laundry be when I finally step out of my room? Will my kids still be in their PJs from the day I get sick? Do I even have enough cheese and bread for Levi to make grilled cheeses or cinnamon toast for every meal until I recover? I'm not going to let myself worry about that yet. I feel pretty confident in my body's ability to ward off this sickness. If anybody can it should be the Sunshine Shoppe Health Foods Store Super Girl. Hmmm. I guess we will see. I better go take some more vitamin D and C...and you should too! ;)


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment