Monday, September 7, 2009

Rolling with the punches

I have been needing to hire some more help at the store but I have been putting it off because frankly, I hate the interview process. You would not believe how many interviews I have to go through before landing on someone worthy of working a cash register and stocking shelves! I actually had one applicant explain to me that she worshiped some planet god, could bring people and horses back to life (as if waking dead people wasn't weird enough she had to throw in the horses too) and that her daughter was from the future. I don't know what it is about the health food industry but man it seems to bring out the crazies. So fortunately for me I procrastinated long enough for my brother to get a good school schedule that would allow him to help me out at the store. Friday was his first day and even though he had worked there as a kid, I still needed to train him on products and refresh his memory on the basics. So as always I took my two spastic kids with me to our very small store. They were good for the most part...until I got the phone call.... Our very small store was packed to capacity with me, Matthew, Jack, Addie, Levi (who had gotten off work early and come up to the store to eat left over pizza), and 4 customers. I was helping a fairly aggressive woman when Levi hands me my cell phone. It is the alarm company. The woman on the phone explains that our silent alarm had been sounded and the police were on their way. JAAAAAAAAAACK!!!!!! That's right, Jack has just been going to town pushing the little silent alarm button over and over and over. While I am still on the phone with the alarm company the store phone rings and Matt picks it up. The conversations goes something like this...
MATT: "Health Food Store"
DISPATCHER: "This is the police department. We show that your silent alarm has been set off."
MATT: "Oh yeah, that was my nephew. It was an accident. Everything is fine."
DISPATCHER: "Sir, what are you wearing."
MATT: "Ummm, green shirt and khakis."
DISPATCHER: "Sir, we need you to come out the front door of the store with you hands where they can be seen."
So poor Matt walks outside with his hands held above his head holding the phone and is surrounded by three police officers. Levi followed him out and explained the situation. I was still trying to help my demanding customer but I managed to convince Jack that he needed to go apologize to the police officers. Everyone was very understanding and we all had a good laugh afterwards. Matt was super wonderful about the whole thing and didn't seem to mind that his nephew almost got him arrested on his first day at the Sunshine Shoppe. Thanks Matt for rolling with the punches!
We literally spent the rest of the weekend shopping. Saturday and Sunday were the least relaxing days we had all week. I think Levi was ready to go back to work after Sunday. At this time of year I always freak out because the weather is getting cooler and my kids have no cool weather clothes that fit. Plus we are leaving for our annual trip to Arkansas this week and it is always chilly there. So I felt compelled to at least buy the kids enough clothes to get us through the trip. Labor day sales rocked and I managed to fill both kids closets. My favorite finds of the day were Addie's skinny jeans and these adorable little pink moccasins with fuzz on the inside. Levi was such a champ all day because he entertained Jack while Addie and I would go into each store and shop. We make a pretty good shopping team but I know I enjoy it much more than the rest of my teammates. Sunday we went to Canton and barely survived the heat. But it was completely worth it because one of my favorite booths had a half off sale going on and I found Addie some really adorable outfits. I was hoping to find some neat decorations for Addie's party but didn't fall in love with anything, but I did buy Ad's birthday tutu and cupcake top while I was there. I also got her a pretty little vintage rod iron maniquin for her bedroom to display her tutus on. I'm so please with how cute it is in her room that I think I'll get a couple more in different sizes. Even though I got a lot of really great things at Canton, the best part of the day was lunch. We had a late lunch and were starving, tired and hot. We had seen a place called Dairy Palace on the way to Canton that had a sign boasting of world famous burgers. We decided that we deserved a world famous burger and OH MY GOSH, it was sooooo amazing! We drove home full, exhausted, and broke. Now I have a whole four weeks to save up for the next Canton shopping trip and Dairy Palace burger! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment